The System for Award Management (SAM) is an official website of the U.S. government. There is no cost to use SAM, and companies can use this site to:
- Register to do business with the U.S. government;
- Update or renew entity registration;
- Check status of an entity registration;
- And search for entity registration and exclusion records
Both current and potential government vendors are required to register in SAM in order to be awarded contracts by the government.
SAM is a powerful marketing tool, allowing government agencies and contractors to search for your company based on your ability, location, size, experience, and more.
When pursuing government sales, it is important to create a SAM user account. This is our first recommended step in starting your journey toward winning government contracts. Check our other blog post on four steps to get you started in government contracting.
In addition to creating a SAM user account, having a proactive strategy will help guide your pursuit of government contracts. Here are some tips to help your government sales pursuit.
- Emphasize your government work in a capabilities statement.
- Identify your target customers and research their mission, programs, and requirements.
- Review acquisition forecasts and conduct outreach to the appropriate points of contact.
- Attend webinars, trade shows, and industry days. This is another excellent way to meet decision-makers and stakeholders.
Understanding the basics of SAM.gov, along with having a proactive approach to your government sales strategy, will help you get started in the world of government contracting.
Need additional assistance with your proactive government sales activities? Schedule a free 30-minute consultation with our team today.
About the Author
Carly supports the company’s digital marketing efforts by maintaining the website, writing and coordinating the blog, managing email campaigns, and coordinating social media for JetCo Solutions. Read more about Carly here.