Are you in jeopardy of losing your GSA Schedule contract due to low sales? If so, GSA doesn’t necessarily want to cancel your contract. They understand that there are several reasons as to why you might have low sales. That’s why it’s important to take the time to put together a government sales plan. Your plan should touch on the points below and could help convince your Contracting Officer to give you another year to set those plans in motion. Here are three tips to help you prevent GSA Schedule contract cancellation.
1. Show how you are currently making an effort in the government space.
To prevent GSA Schedule contract cancellation, you must show your Contracting Officer that you are trying to succeed in the government space. Relevant information in your government sales plan can include:
- Any federal sales and/or business development activities you have done since securing your contract;
- Possible sales to military personnel that were not purchased using government funds;
- Any quotes you have provided, even if no sales came from them;
- And industry shows you have attended to try and market your product or service.
2. Present a plan on how you are stepping up your government marketing strategies.
If you haven’t taken any of the steps outlined in the bullet points above, it’s time to step up your game when it comes to marketing to the government. Here are a couple of ways to do this:
- Create a current business development plan. How do you plan to market your product or service?
- Make a list of agencies to target. How are you going to reach out to them? It’s also important to see if state or local agencies are able to buy your products or services. If they can purchase them, how are you going to incorporate those agencies into your business development plan?
- Identify upcoming trade or industry shows that you plan on attending.
- Present a budget you have created specifically for GSA marketing.
- Do some research. It’s important to understand how the government is buying your product or service. Not sure where to look for this data? Our research team can help. Just contact us and ask for a Federal Focus Report.
3. Identify a lead person in your company responsible for GSA sales and determine how they will be accountable.
Have you hired someone specifically for government sales, or have you restructured your company so that someone is responsible for your government or GSA-specific sales? If so, tie this information into your planned business development and marketing strategies.
If you have hired a consulting firm to help with government sales, communicate to your Contracting Officer how they are helping your sales. For example, if they are responsible for contract maintenance, communicate that they are helping maintain the smaller tasks so you can focus on marketing and sales. If they are helping with government sales specifically, communicate that you don’t have the internal capacity or knowledge to assist with government sales.
Overall, a GSA Schedule can be a great way to gain additional government sales. If you have low sales through your GSA Schedule contract, the GSA doesn’t necessarily want to cancel your contract. That’s why it’s important to communicate how you are making an effort in the government space if you’re facing GSA Schedule contract cancellation.
Need help with your GSA sales or want to obtain a GSA Schedule? Let us know. We have the talent and knowledge to help you succeed in the government space.